| DEPARTMENT OF MICROBIOLOGY
The department of Microbiology is run by a team of Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant Professors, and Tutors.
NON TEACHING STAFF:
I. DEMONSTRATION ROOMS:There are 2 rooms which can provide accomodation for 60 students with OHP facility
II. PRACTICAL LAB: The students lab is well equipped with accomodation for 60 students with electric supply, lights and central gas connection.
III. SERVICE LAB: The sevice lab has media preparation & storage room, autoclave room, washing & drying room separate for Bacteriology, Serology, Virology, Parasitology, Mycology ,TB & Immunology
III. MUSEUM: The museum has multiple charts and photographs with accomodation for 25 students.
IV.LIBRARY: Library has 80 to 100 books including various subsections of Microbiology.
V. RESEARCH LAB.
2ND M.B.B.S. STUDENTS ARE TRAINED IN FOLLOWING ACTIVITIES:
2. INTEGRATED SEMINAR
5. MONTHLY THEORY INTERNAL EXAMS/VIVA
6. STUDENT PROJECTS
DEPARTMENT LIBRARY FOR FACULTY AND STUDENTS LABORATORY SERVICES:
1. STUDENTS PRACTICAL LABORATORY
2. CENTRAL RESEARCH LABORATORY IN COLLEGE FOR ALL FACULTIES
3. RESEARCH LABORATORY FOR MICROBIOLOGY
4. CLINICAL CENTRAL LABORATORY
- CLINICAL BACTERIOLOGY
- CLINICAL VIROLOGY
- CLINICAL IMMUNOLOGY
- CLINICAL PARASITOLOGY
- CLINICAL MYCOLOGY
- CLINICAL MYCOBACTERIOLOGY
The laboratories are available for Clinical Bacteriology, Virology, Parasitology, Mycology, and Micro bacteriology.
There is also Research lab for further studies.
The following tests are being done at the Central Laboratory by the Department of Microbiology.
1. Dengue IgM ELISA
II. CULTURE & ANTIBIOTIC SENSITIVITY PATTERN:
1. Blood culture & sensitivity
2. Urine culture & sensitivity
3. Pus culture & sensitivity
4. Sputum culture & sensitivity
5. Culture for sterile body fluids & sensitivity
6. Stool culture & sensitivity
7. Gram stain for sterile body fluids
1. AFB Staining
2. Fluorescent Staining
3. CBNAAT- Gene expert(RNTCP)- Confirmation & detection of MDR TB.
IV. ICTC :
1. Counselling & testing for HIV suspects as per NACO guidelines
2. CD4 Cell count test
1. Screening for fungal hyphal elements (biopsy specimens, BAL samples, skin scrapings, nail clippings and from hair sam ples)
2. Fungal culture
VI. STOOL EXAMINATION
1. Stool for ova and cysts
2. Hanging drop preparation for Vibrio cholera
VII. OT & ICU sterilisation
1. Water sampling for coliform count.
2. Food sample analysis.
Hospital Infection Control Committee:
The committee conducts meeting every month and resolutions passed and the minutes of meeting is sent to the DME office.
ONGOING RESEARCH PROJECTS:
1. Evaluation of rise of GeneXpert MTB/RIF assay in TB diagnosis and early detection of Rifampicin resistance in samples in Sivagangai district- Dr K Bharathi
2.Isolation of Bacterial & Fungal pathogens in neonatal sepsis in a tertiary care hospital. - Dr V Lakshmanakumar
3.Isolation of urinary pathogens in catheterised In patients in a tertiary care hospital - II MBBS Student Kiruthika.
4. Bacteriological profile & their antimicrobial susceptibility pattern for clinical isolates from a tertiary care hospital Sivagangai- 5 Year retrospective study
Dr Angappan P(Assistant professor, Microbiology), Dr V Lakshmanakumar (Assistant professor, Microbiology)